Outpatient knee replacement surgery makes it possible for patients to have their worn out and painful knee joint replaced by prosthetic implants without having to be admitted as an inpatient to a hospital. It is quite probable that more than half of all joint replacements will be performed in the outpatient setting within the next 10 years.
Here’s, what to expect with Outpatient Knee Replacement Surgery:
- Advanced level of care. Outpatient joint replacement procedures are performed in a technologically advanced facility that utilizes cutting-edge techniques to optimize healing and improve joint function.
- Careful selection process. Patient selection is a key criterion for ensuring a successful outcome. Not everybody can be a candidate for this procedure. You must be in relatively good health with no health problems such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or other comorbidities that could cause complications.
- Greater pre-operative preparation. You will be required to perform exercises to improve joint range of motion and strength. This will provide better stability and support for the implant.
- Lower risk of infection. Since you spend less time in the care facility, there is minimal risk of hospital acquired infections.
- Discharge within 24 hours. Most patients can expect to be weightbearing within a few hours after the surgery and discharged on the same day as the procedure.
- Recover in the comfort of your home. Studies show that patients recover better and are more committed to getting well soon when in the familiar setting of their own home and looked after by loved ones.
- Improved patient satisfaction. Most patients that have undergone outpatient knee replacement report an overall high level of satisfaction with their care.
South Palm Orthopedics is a medical practice devoted to the diagnosis and treatment of injuries and diseases of the body's musculoskeletal system. Our orthopedic surgeons have advanced fellowship training in the areas of hand & wrist, shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, trauma and fractures, foot and ankle, and sports medicine. The physicians of South Palm Orthopedics are committed to providing the highest level of orthopedic care to each and every patient each and every time.