Lumps & Bumps
Lumps and Bumps Specialists in Delray Beach, FL
Lumps and Bumps are raised abnormal localized swellings seen on the skin. They vary in size and color and maybe hard or soft. At South Palm Orthopedics our expert team of lumps and bumps specialists provide diagnosis and individualized non-surgical and surgical treatment for lumps and bumps conditions in Delray Beach, FL. They also provide highly specialized care during and after the surgery. Contact the team at South Palm Orthopedics for an appointment today!
What are Lumps and Bumps?
Lumps and Bumps are raised abnormal localized swellings seen on the skin. They vary in size and color and maybe hard or soft. Sometimes, they are itchy.
Types of Lumps and Bumps
Some of the types of Lumps and Bumps include:
- Contact dermatitis: It is a skin disease characterized by itchy red skin.
- Cherry angiomas: They are caused due to clumping of blood vessels which result in raised, red bumps.
- Cold sores: They appear around your lips and are caused by a virus.
- Keloids: They are raised or smooth scars on the shoulders, cheeks or chest
- Cysts: They are fluid-filled growths on the skin.
- Calluses or Corns: They are thickened areas on the skin.
- Lipomas: They are fatty tissue overgrowths under your skin.
- Moles: They are black or brown small outgrowths of the skin.
- Skin tags: They are small painless flaps protruding from the skin.
- Strawberry nevus: They are red birthmarks that fade away.
- Swollen lymph nodes: They appear when your body is fighting an infection.
- Ganglion cysts: They are tumors or swellings on a joint or tendon sheath.
- Cancerous growths: They are benign or malignant cancerous tumors.
- Boils: They are caused due to infection of hair follicles and appear like a red lump filled with pus.
- Acne: Acne occurs when your hair follicles are plugged with dead skin and oil. Common types of acne are pimples, whiteheads or blackheads.
- Bullae: They are fluid-filled bumps usually caused by a viral infection such as chickenpox.
When to See a Doctor?
You can see your doctor if your lump or bump is:
- Growing in size
- Not resolving on its own for a long time
Diagnosis of Lumps and Bumps
Your doctor will perform a physical exam of the area and ask about your medical history. A biopsy of your skin may be ordered for further evaluation.
Treatment of Lumps and Bumps
Treatment depends on the underlying cause and may involve:
Non-surgical methods: Your doctor may suggest the following remedies:
- Use of ice packs to reduce redness and swelling
- Antibiotics or antiviral drugs to treat infections
- Ointments or creams for topical application
Surgery: Your doctor may suggest surgical removal of your lump or bump if conservative treatment options fail.
If you are experiencing painful symptoms or wish to learn more about the treatment for lumps and bumps in Delray Beach, FL, please contact the hand and wrist experts at South Palm Orthopedics without much delay.